17 Day Itinerary

Our walk begins in St. Bee's on the West Coast of Great Britain at the Irish Sea. Almost 200 miles later, we will find ourselves at the North Sea in Robin Hood's Bay.

Day 1 - Moor Row, 9 miles The Jasmine House
Day 2 - Ennerdale, 8 miles Low Cock How Farm
Day 3 - Seatoller, 14 miles Seatoller Farm
Day 4 - Grasmere, 10.5 miles Town Head Farm
Day 5 - Patterdale, 7.5 miles Grisdale Lodge
Day 6 - Shap, 16 miles Brookfield House
Day 7 - Orton, 8 miles The Westons
Day 8 - Kirby Stephen, 13.5 miles The Black Bull
Day 9 - Keld, 14 miles Keld Lodge
Day 10 - Richmond, 14 miles The Old Brewery
Day 11 - Danby-Wiske, 14 miles Old School House
Day 12 - Osmotherly, 12 miles 32 South End
Day 13 - Clay Bank Top, 11 miles The Maltkiln House
Day 14 - Blakley Ridge, 8.5 miles The Sevenford House
Day 15 - Grosmont, 14 miles The Station Inn
Day 16 - Robin Hood's Bay, 16 miles The Raven House

Of course, these distances don't account for getting lost and doubling back a few times, avoiding an aggressive herd of heifers or navigating the moors.... or wandering off in search of a pint.

Friday, May 25, 2012

A Right Ole Git

At some point yesterday, I decided that I'd better go through our itinerary one more time to be sure we're squared away.  What with only 14 days left to departure, that was cutting it close, don't you think?  Good thing I did.  I booked us a wonderful place in Moor Row, resulting in a very manageable 8 miles for the first day of our walk.  My plan was to walk another 8 miles on day two and spend the night in Ennerdale.  However, I discovered that the place I booked in Ennerdale is not actually in Ennerdale and is in fact only two miles from the place the night before.  What?!?  How did that happen?  This is why people pay a local agent to figure it out and manage their bookings but not me.  That would eliminate too much excitement and drama from my life.

This is NOT the time of year to try for last minute bookings but the Coast to Coast gods were smiling on me and I found a charming farm that's is actually right on the outskirts of Ennerdale and I managed to book a room!  They have a couple stables of horses and they offer half or full day trail rides through the countryside.  What a great place to stay!  Lauren will never want to leave...  I am amazed that we 1) found a place w/a vacancy and 2) that it's really very nice.  I should buy a lottery ticket.

Now I'm trying to get detailed directions from several places we'll be staying in that are not on the maps in our guidebook.  I'm gonna have a big enough challenge finding the ones that are on the maps....  This is causing me a bit of concern and I didn't sleep much last night.  When I did, I dreamed of being lost in dark places dotted with stinky watering holes teeming with slimy creatures and yellow eyes watching me in the distance.  Every time I opened my mouth to yell for help, I bleated like a goat.

This is what happens when I don't drink beer.  13 more days.

1 comment:

  1. I would recommend accepting that you have planned well and try to get more sleep. Stuff will happen that is unexpected no matter you are still planning on the plane.

    Time to enjoy the anticipation and perhaps even a small beer before bed for a dreamless sleep:)

    ReplyDelete